Sunday, February 7, 2010

Day 7 update

Frugal February is going fairly well so far. Today was the real challenge. We went to my version of the happiest place on earth. My mecca. My little spot of sunshine. Costco. Oh Costco, how I love you. I mean really, what's not to love? Delightful prices, great options and lovely social policy. Plus free samples! (Side bar, what is up with those samples? I do wonder about them sometimes. Are there honestly people who don't think a Milano cookie is delicious? Or tortilla chips? Or chocolate covered almonds? Do these items require a free sample to convince people to buy them? Really?)

The biggest negative in Costco's corner is that I love their products too much. It's gotten to the point where I just automatically allow myself one impulse item, knowing that there will be an impulse purchase regardless. This is where I knew Frugal February would met its match. Costco vs frugality. Who would win this showdown?

Call me a coward, but I didn't want to find out. So I went to lunch with a friend and sent MD. The only items purchased were those on the list! So impressive! Someday I hope to be this strong. I'm working on it, I swear. For now, avoidance seems to be the best (and most frugal) policy.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you go to lunch? Strike and Spare?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you or MD goes... pick me up a bag of those delightful salt and pepper pistachios. I'll pay you back (or in advance if that helps in Fruagal Feb)!

    ReplyDelete