Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Another excuse for being late!

Do you know the Seinfeld episode where they keep saying "these pretzels are making me thirsty?" Well, in the same tone say "this frugality is making me tardy."

This morning I was made aware that there really weren't enough leftovers from dinner last night to make 2 lunches for today, let alone enough for tomorrow (I was at PTA so MD cleaned up and put the small amount of leftover chicken in a container for one lunch). I remembered that I had planned breakfast for dinner tonight (a favorite around the short arms house) but breakfast for dinner doesn't give you any leftovers for lunch the next day. So my first thought was, "I'll just swing by the grocery store, pick up some turkey and some rolls and we can have sandwiches for lunch tomorrow." My second thought, "Really? You can't go one day without buying something?" Then I remembered I had a crock pot recipe that called for frozen chicken and BOOM, problem solved!

Not so fast. I don't usually (ever) allow much spare time in the morning. AND I hadn't set anything out the night before. Cut to me trying to find the cans of beans in the pantry, splashing myself with chicken broth because I'm trying to pour it too fast and realizing I only have one cup of salsa instead of the two the recipe calls for. (Believe you me, I was thinking of another word that goes along with Frugal February.) But I persevered. Everything was in the crock pot, ready to go, I quickly packed myself a lunch and then looked at the clock. Hmmm, suddenly I had two minutes to make the seven minute drive to school.

So, the peeps were a bit tardy, but dinner was tasty and they will also be delicious for lunch tomorrow.

Since we're all being honest here I did spend one dollar today (on a package of M & M's from the stupid vending machine). I wanted the 90 cent package of cookies so I could have 1/2 today and 1/2 tomorrow. However, when I (repeatedly and aggressively) pressed its number I kept getting the "make another selection" message. Then when I pressed "coin return" it wouldn't give me my money back. Then the nice person behind me offered to push the button and it didn't work for her either. So her friend offered to push the button, no dice. I contemplated asking them to just give me a dollar and they could use mine which was already in the machine, but I try to avoid being looked at like the crazy lady at the vending machine. Hence the M & M's. Next time I'll just have a piece of gum.

2 comments:

  1. Did you save half of your M&Ms for the next day? :)

    I blame frugality for my kids' picky food habits. Prior to setting a food budget, I'd pick out new (and, ahem, a bit more expensive) food items. (i.e. salmon, fancy cheeses, new varieties of fruits and veggies). WELL... since we run out of money EVERY month for food, I stick to the cheapest variety of each food group. And we eat the same things over and over.

    Bad choice. Now my kids have forgotten the plethora of choices available and have become stuck in the lackluster joys of ramen and ground beef.

    Dang frugality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like every month we have a week with no money in the food budget--but that is the week we generally eat the best, since I've been buying meat and freezing it like someone expecting the next nuclear holocaust.

    I'm weird.

    ReplyDelete