Thursday, August 13, 2009

Really?

While I was in my hometown for my high school reunion we stayed at my parents' house. Saturday afternoon before the big festivities I decided I needed some, ahem, foundation items to help "lock and load" everything in my dress, so my mom and I hustled off to Macy's. Naturally this took longer than expected, so I was running late (big surprise). As soon as I got back home I zipped into the guest bedroom to grab my dress from the closet. Mentally I was already three steps beyond getting my dress and in a very distracted way I whipped open the half-closed door to find my father sitting in the closet playing his hand-held Yahtzee game. Yes, you read that correctly. My 68 year old father was sitting in the closet playing Yahtzee.

I gasped and said, "um, I came to get my dress???" Dad told me MD had taken it downstairs already and then he started pull the door closed a bit. Now wait just a minute. At this point several things were racing through my mind--

  • You just scared the dickens out of me.
  • WHAT on earth are you doing??
  • Has the Alzheimer's set in??--I always thought we'd have more time...
  • Has mom banned you from playing your travel Yahtzee game when you're at home??
  • You have clearly lost your ever loving mind.
  • WTF??
  • Really?

I took in the scene and managed to cough out something like "what are you doing?" And then in the span of those 5 seconds he went from crazy to brilliant... "I'm playing hide and seek with G." Well played, well played indeed.



Now in a normal person's world this would be the end of the story. But such is not the case in my world. Because I then went downstairs to find my 5 year old, the seeker in this game of hide and seek sitting on the couch watching TV with her brother. As soon as I said, "Aren't you supposed to be playing hide and seek with grandpa?" She clapped her hands together, said "Oh yeah!" and jumped off the couch to continue the game.


I think if I hadn't intervened they might still be playing--with one in the closet upstairs and one on the couch downstairs.




2 comments:

  1. THAT is a good story, my friend. Please keep posting as you have inspiration. You never fail to make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend, that made me really really laugh. You've got some mad writing skillz, chica.

    Lock and load. HA!

    ReplyDelete